Mourinho Old Trafford 'punch' case dropped
No action will be taken against Inter Milan boss Jose Mourinho over allegations that he punched a supporter outside Old Trafford, police sources said on Thursday.
A fan claimed he was hit in the face by the Portuguese manager following last month's Champions League tie between the Italian team and Manchester United.
The source said: "The complainant does not wish to pursue the matter and a decision was then made not to continue with the case following a review of the matter."
Mourinho, 46, was said to have clashed with a man close to the Inter team bus shortly before midnight on March 11 after his side's 2-0 defeat.
The fan alleged common assault, although he was not thought to be seriously injured, and Greater Manchester Police approached the Old Trafford club to view CCTV footage of the area.
Inter Milan denied any altercation took place and issued a statement which maintained "nothing happened and there is no truth in it at all".
The club said Mourinho fulfilled his media obligations, signed autographs and met United boss Sir Alex Ferguson in his office before he boarded the bus, which was parked outside the dressing rooms, in what was "a calm post-game experience".
A Crown Prosecution Service spokesman said: "The Code for Crown Prosecutors - the guidance that CPS lawyers follow - requires that, for a case to go ahead, there must be a realistic prospect of conviction and that it must be in the public interest to prosecute.
"However, when considering the public interest, Crown Prosecutors have to take into account the consequences for the victim of whether or not to prosecute, and any views expressed by the victim or the victim's family.
"In this instance, having taken all of the above into consideration, the reviewing lawyer decided that a prosecution was not required in the public interest."