Klinsmann assured of future, Van Buyten out
Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has assured coach Jurgen Klinsmann of his job, even if they follow the loss against Wolfsburg last weekend with defeat by Barcelona on Wednesday night.
Wolfsburg, managed by the former Bayern coach Felix Magath, trounced the defending champions 5-1 on Saturday to leave them in fourth position in the Bundesliga with eight games remaining.
That defeat turned up the pressure on Klinsmann, whose side have yet to make it to the top of the table all season and who has had a rough ride for his entire nine months in charge so far.
However, the Champions League has hitherto been his saving grace with Bayern commanding the best record of all the clubs in the competition so far with an unbeaten record.
But even if that were to end at the Nou Camp on Wednesday night, Klinsmann can sleep easily, according to Rummenigge.
"Nobody at FC Bayern is even contemplating such a scenario," he said. "To say that if we get hammered there then the coach is gone is not the way we do things."
Even if Bayern fail to win the Bundesliga this season, Rummenigge promises that Klinsmann will still be in charge next season.
"He has a contract so of course," he told the Bild newspaper. "I don't like giving intermediary assessments. We don't have any other plan."
Rummenigge hopes that Bayern are still in the running for a place in the semi-finals of the Champions League after the first leg, but is not too concerned about the prospect of a heavy defeat at the Nou Camp.
He is counting on the atmosphere of the Allianz Arena and home advantage in the second leg to see Bayern through, whatever happens.
He said: "In Bern, there was a team on the field in 1954 which had just conceded eight goals and they still won the World Cup.
"We hope to get a result which can enable us to create a sensation in the second leg."
Meanwhile, Bayern Munich defender Daniel van Buyten will miss his team's Champions League quarter-final because of personal reasons, the club said on Tuesday.
"The team left on Tuesday midday without Van Buyten for the match against Barcelona," the club said on their website.
Van Buyten is the second central defender to be ruled out, after Brazilian Lucio picked up a muscle injury in Bayern's 5-1 defeat against Wolfsburg on Saturday and will be out for several days.
Coach Juergen Klinsmann is expected to rely on Martin Demichelis and 19-year-old Brazilian Breno, but also brought in Holger Badstuber from the reserve team.
Van Buyten, who had travelled back to Belgium to deal with family affairs days ago, briefly returned to Munich but left again shortly before the team was set to fly out.