Hiddink rules out contract extension at Chelsea
New Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink used his first press conference at Stamford Bridge to reiterate that he would not extend his short-term contract with the Premier League side beyond the end of the season.
The 62-year-old Dutchman, who took over from ousted Brazilian Luiz Felipe Scolari last week, is also in charge of the Russian national team and insists he won't break his contract with the RFF, which runs until after the 2010 World Cup.
"I will help out until the end of the season, only to the end of the season," Hiddink said. "I have my full-time commitment with the Russian federation which I will fulfil."
Despite his dual role Hiddink insists he is fully focused on bringing success to Chelsea, starting with his first game in charge against third-placed Aston Villa at Villa Park on Saturday.
"I am not just here to pass the time until the end of the season. That is not in my mind," Hiddink said. "My priority is Villa Park, first - the next game. The next battle is Villa."
And the former PSV Eindhoven boss has also set his sights on bringing some silverware to Stamford Bridge.
"We know the situation at Chelsea. They are in three competitions - the FA Cup, Champions League and the league," the Dutchman said. "(In the league), Chelsea are 10 points down on Man Utd, which will be very difficult, but we will give it a try.
"Realistically it is difficult. But in the history of football there have been changes in the final minutes.
"Chelsea don't just have to win, but United have to lose as well. On the other two competitions, Chelsea are of course in the race. That is why it is a challenge."