Kinnear to leave hospital after heart op
Joe Kinnear is hoping to leave hospital on Sunday following a triple heart bypass operation.
The 62-year-old was admitted to hospital on February 7 before Newcastle United's 3-2 victory over West Bromwich Albion and subsequently underwent surgery last Friday.
Kinnear also encountered ill health earlier in his managerial career and suffered a heart attack in March 1999 while manager of Wimbledon, subsequently standing down as Dons boss.
Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood are in charge of the first team while Kinnear is absent, starting with the home clash against Everton on Sunday.
Kinnear expects to leave his Sutton Coldfield hospital over the weekend and he has thanked his well-wishers, as well as wishing the Magpies luck against the Toffees.
Kinnear, who is expected to be off work for at least two months, told the club's official website: ''I'd really like to thank everyone for all their best wishes while I've been in hospital.
''I had the operation last Friday and since then it's just been a case of taking it easy. 'The doctors have told me everything has gone well, I feel okay and I hope to be able to go home on Sunday.
''I'll be ringing Chris to say good luck to him and the boys for Sunday's game. I'll be glued to the television cheering them on and hopefully the lads can build on the win they had against West Brom and pick up another three points.
''I know the fans will be right behind the team again on Sunday. I said from day one when I took over that they are the 12th man for us and they have a big role to play for us again as always at the weekend.
''I've been really touched by all the messages I've had from people over the last two weeks. I'd like to thank everyone for that and I hope to see you all again soon.''