Melbourne Victory
(4) 1
(3) 1
Game Details
Leicester City
(5) 1
(6) 1
Game Details
Portland Timbers
LA Galaxy
Game Details
Montreal Impact
Philadelphia Union
Game Details
Columbus Crew SC
Orlando City SC
Game Details
New England Revolution
Chicago Fire
Game Details
Houston Dynamo
Vancouver Whitecaps
Game Details

Premier League: Torres stars, United stay top

Fernando Torres grabbed two late goals as Liverpool reclaimed second place in the Premier League with a 2-0 win over Chelsea on Sunday.

Chelsea had Frank Lampard sent off for a lunge of Xabi Alonso in the second half, and Liverpool took advantage to complete a league double over Luiz Felipe Scolari's side, with two quick goals in the dying moments.

Torres sneaked in front of Alex to head the first in the 88th minute, before good work from Yossi Benayoun gave him an open goal a few minutes later to seal the win.

Referee Mike Riley booked seven other players as the two heavyweights slugged it out in their attempt to keep the title race alive.

Manchester United had increased their lead at the summit of the Premier League with a 1-0 win over Everton on Saturday.

Their clean sheet meant United now hold the honour of being the team that have gone the longest without conceding a goal in English league football, a record they surpassed during the second half at Old Trafford on Saturday when they clocked up 1,104 minutes without an opposition team breaching their defence.

Everton never really looked like altering that statistic and a Cristiano Ronaldo penalty, after a foul by Mikel Arteta on Michael Carrick, was enough to earn United the three points. Ronaldo also struck a post as United claimed their latest 1-0 victory.

The other match on Sunday saw Shola Ameobi deny Sunderland a first league double over their arch-rivals in 42 years as Newcastle hit back to snatch a point in a 1-1 draw in front of owner Mike Ashley.

Ameobi drilled home a 68th-minute penalty to cancel out Djibril Cisse's first-half strike as both sides emerged from a rip-roaring derby with something to show for their efforts.

However, the visitors were more than aggrieved at referee Howard Webb's decision to award the spot-kick for Steed Malbranque's challenge on Steven Taylor.

A see-saw match on Saturday at the Reebok Stadium saw Kevin Davies snatch a sensational late victory after Darren Bent led a spirited second-half Spurs comeback.

Bolton defender Sebastien Puygrenier, on loan from Zenit St. Petersburg, opened his Premier League account when he headed home a Mark Davies free-kick for the home side. Jussi Jaaskelainen did well to keep out a David Bentley shot but Bolton should have doubled their lead when Kevin Davies missed a chance from close range before Carlo Cudicini denied Matt Taylor.

Kevin Davies' second half shot flew past the ex-Chelsea keeper to put Bolton seemingly well in command but substitute Darren Bent scored soon after to throw Spurs a lifeline. He added a quick second to send the travelling Spurs fans wild and leave Bolton fans rueing the surrender of another two-goal lead but Davies popped up at the death to send the Trotters fans home happy.

Arsenal lost more points in the race for a Champions League spot as they were held to a goalless draw in the London derby against West Ham.

Abou Diaby went close when Robert Green deflected his header onto the bar early on in the game but the Gunners failed to trouble the Hammers keeper for the rest of the first half and Gael Clichy had to look alert to clear a James Collins header off the line just before the break.

Adebayor missed a sitter for the Gunners, slicing his effort with the goal at this mercy but even after the introduction of Robin van Persie, Arsenal were unable to find a way past the Hammers' defence.

Wigan frustrated high-flying Aston Villa as Martin O'Neill's side were held to a 0-0 draw at Villa Park.

Zat Knight went close for Martin O'Neill's side with a second half header and Villa had the bulk of the possession but despite Emile Heskey making his home debut against his old side, Villa couldn't unlock the Wigan defence who had Maynor Figueroa to thank for two goal-line clearances.

Fulham saw off the insipid challenge of Portsmouth at Craven Cottage as they helped themselves to a comfortable 3-1 win.

Andrew Johnson seized upon a fine Clint Dempsey pass to open the scoring for Fulham in the 14th minute.

Younes Kaboul's header struck the Fulham post and David Nugent should have been awarded a penalty when Pantsil clattered into him at the start of the second half.

Erik Nevland put Fulham two up and added another to secure the win with David Nugent adding a late consolation for Portsmouth.

A 2-2 draw at the KC Stadium saw Hull take the lead against West Brom on the stroke of half-time as Bernard Mendy took the ball round Scott Carson to score for the home side.

Carson did well to make a save from Dean Marney's long range effort as the second half got underway but Jay Simpson scored his first Premier League goal to equalise for the visitors.

Mendy turned provide for Craig Fagan to put Hull back in front in the 69th minute but a Chris Brunt penalty four minutes later placed the Baggies back on level terms.

Ten-man Stoke survived the first half dismissal of talisman Rory Delap to secure a vital win against Manchester City.

Delap received his marching orders following an altercation with Shaun Wright-Phillips in which the Manchester City player was fortunate to escape punishment.

Spurred on by this perceived sense of injustice, Stoke pushed on and James Beattie headed home Matthew Etherington's cross at the far post deep in to first-half injury-time to sink City.

A goalless draw against Blackburn at the Riverside extended Middlesbrough's winless Premier League streak to twelve matches.

Chris Riggott's chance from a Stewart Downing cross was the closest the home side went as Blackburn turned the screws on their hosts in the second half.

Benni McCarthy and Roque Santa Cruz both went close for Rovers who are now unbeaten in eight games under Sam Allardyce.


Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.