McGeady decides not to appeal against punishment
Aiden McGeady is hoping to draw a line under his bust-up with Celtic boss Gordon Strachan after deciding not to appeal against the punishment imposed on him.
Republic of Ireland midfielder McGeady looked certain to contest the fine and two-week first-team suspension Strachan handed him in the wake of last month's 1-1 Premier League draw with Hearts.
The player's agent, David Holbrook, had slammed the decision, claiming the 22-year-old would lodge an appeal.
But after consulting his family and advisors, McGeady yesterday decided to let the matter lie and attempt to resurrect his Parkhead career.
The dramatic u-turn was confirmed in a statement released by PFA Scotland, which read: "As per the rights conferred upon him under the terms of his contract of service and also within employment law, Aiden McGeady is entitled to a period during which he may appeal the recent sanctions taken against him by the club.
"He has used this time in the proper way which has allowed him to take due consideration to all the facts and circumstances regarding the matter. After lengthy discussions with his family and advisors, Aiden has decided not to appeal the penalties imposed upon him by Celtic FC.
"It is his wish that this brings this matter to a conclusion and he reiterates that his desire as always is simply to get back playing football for Celtic FC.''
PFA Scotland chief executive Fraser Wishart said: "Aiden McGeady has conducted himself throughout this situation in a thoughtful, measured and mature manner.
"Aiden has rightly taken time to consider his position and will continue to have the full support of PFA Scotland.''
McGeady - who returned to first-team training last week - had threatened to appeal despite the fact any hearing would have taken place after his ban had been served and would have only led to the recovery of the two weeks' wages he was docked.
The time limit in which he could challenge his punishment was extended by agreement with Celtic until January 9 but he has decided not to go down a road that could have caused irreparable damage to his relationship with Strachan.
McGeady's days as a Celtic player appeared to be numbered following the December 13 bust-up, which was not the first time he was reported to have fallen out with his manager this season.
But the decision to ban his star player was nevertheless a brave one by Strachan, who was gambling on his side being able to win games at Falkirk and arch-rivals Rangers over the Christmas period.
Two victories solidified his position, while McGeady's threat to appeal made it difficult to envisage how the two men could continue to work together at the same club.
A January sale looked to be on the cards but yesterday's development suggests the player may yet have a future at Parkhead.
That is despite Strachan's decision to omit McGeady from his squad for Saturday's 2-2 draw with Dundee United.
The bust-up somehow found its way into the public domain and 'Lisbon Lion' Bertie Auld last night called for whoever leaked the story to come clean.
He said: "We've all fallen out with managers but it was always kept within the dressing room. I think this should have been kept in the dressing room.
"It's never actually been stated what he's said or done, that's the tragedy of it. Whoever it was who broke the news and brought it out of the dressing room should stand up and be counted.''