Metsu resigns as coach of United Arab Emirates
ABU DHABI, September 22 (National Team) - Bruno Metsu has resigned as coach of the United Arab Emirates following the poor start in the final round of qualification for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
UAE FA president Mohammed Khalfan Al Romaithy announced Metsu's departure during Sunday's draw for the 2008-2009 UAE President's Cup after a meeting between UAE FA officials and the Frenchman, who famously led Senegal to the 2002 World Cup quarter-finals.
"Metsu informed me that he will not continue with the national team on Thursday," said Al Romaithy.
"He had a meeting with the general secretary yesterday before he officially resigned after he agreed to pay the financial penalty in his contract."
Al Romaithy added that Metsu's successor will be named almost immediately.
"We will have an official press conference on Monday to announce the departure of Metsu and declare who will be his replacement, someone who will know UAE Football very well," said Al Romaithy.
Metsu, who took the job in June 2006, led UAE to their first ever title in the Gulf Cup in 2007 and could yet stay in the Gulf state with media reports linking him with a job at Al Wahda.
UAE had a shocking start to their campaign for a place at the World Cup finals in South Africa, losing their first two matches at home against North Korea and Saudi Arabia earlier this month.