Mido plans long-term stay at Middlesbrough
Middlesbrough's Egyptian striker Mido has admitted the time has come for him to make a long-term commitment.
The 25-year-old striker, who joined Middlesbrough in a £6million move from Tottenham in the summer of 2007, has had seven clubs in 10 years.
This summer he was strongly linked with possible moves to Wigan and Fulham but eventually announced he would be staying put on Teesside.
Now Mido wants to extend his stay in Gareth Southgate's squad and build on his terrific start to the current campaign which has brought him four goals already.
Mido said: "I have made mistakes in my career with some of my moves. I didn't stay and fight for my position.
"Now I have to learn from the past and think that it is not always an option to go somewhere else when I am not in the team.
"Sometimes you have to test yourself. You have to do everything you can to earn yourself a position in the starting 11."
At the same time, Mido admits he was close to pushing for a move away from Middlesbrough.
He suffered from injuries in his first 12 months on Teesside, while his weight ballooned towards the end of last season.
But a fitness regime during the summer help him to set new targets both physically and mentally.
Mido said: "At certain moments I was very close to leaving Middlesbrough.
"But when I spoke to the manager I was told that I was part of his plans and he wanted me to stay.
"I have had several clubs, that's true, but maybe it's time for me to face the problems and fight for my position.
"I am staying at Middlesbrough and I will see whether it will work or not.
"But I have worked very hard to try to make it work. I have spent the whole summer working on my fitness and I think I am starting to see the benefits now."
Mido was still not fully match fit by the start of the new campaign and had to settle for a place on the Boro bench.
The excellent form of Turkish striker Tuncay and Brazilian Afonso Alves at the end of last season made it difficult for Mido to break through, although it is the Egyptian who has produced the goods.
He has scored four goals compared to one each for Tuncay and Alves, with his latest coming on his first Premier League start of the campaign at Portsmouth last week.
Mido got his chance to start at Fratton Park because of an injury to Tuncay, but he is now determined to hang on to his place.
He will certainly be leading the Boro attack in Saturday's derby at Sunderland.
Mido said: "The manager told me that I might not start the first three or four games of the season.
"I was happy with that because Tuncay and Afonso Alves finished last season very strongly and they deserved to be in the team.
"But every time I came off the bench I tried to do my best and I scored goals.
"There is no point being on the bench just for the sake of coming on and being on the pitch.
"When I came on I wanted to impress the manager and the supporters and try to score goals.
"The supporters at Middlesbrough have always been great to me and when you have the fans behind you, you must always do whatever you can to stay in the team.
"Losing Tuncay through injury is a big loss to the team because he is a great player and he has done so much for us.
"But I don't look at it that I am in the team because Tuncay is injured.
"I have done well when I have been given opportunities and I think that I am in the starting line-up because of what I have achieved.
"But you have to do well in every game if you want to stay in the team."