Gomez eager to earn move to a bigger club
Stuttgart striker Mario Gomez is determined to join an elite European team after seeing two bids for his services turned down during the transfer window.
The Germany international was close to joining Bayern Munich earlier in the summer before that deal was blocked by Stuttgart, while Gomez was also the subject of a deadline-day bid by Manchester City which was also rebuffed.
Gomez's stock has been high ever since he fired Stuttgart to the Bundesliga title in 2007, and a disappointing display for his country at Euro 2008 was not enough to put potential suitors off his trail.
A move to City would have marked a significant step up for the hitman given the Eastlands club's recent high-profile takeover and acquisition of Robinho from Real Madrid, but Gomez insists it is only a matter of time before he moves on.
'After our game with Hannover [on August 31], Manchester City made our general manager Horst Heldt an offer, but he turned it down,' Gomez told the Bild newspaper.
'The offer from Manchester City will certainly not be the last one I receive.
'My aim is to play for a top club in Europe, somewhere like Italy, England or Spain.'
Despite being keen to ply his trade elsewhere in the future, the 23-year-old remains focused on doing his best to fire Stuttgart back to the summit of the German league.
He said: 'I have a contract with VfB and the club has told me quite clearly that they will not let me leave this season. Not for any money in the world.
'I don't think Horst Heldt would allow me to leave in six months when he has blocked every offer immediately.
'I have no problem playing in Stuttgart. VfB is one of the best run clubs in Germany and I enjoy playing in Stuttgart. The whole environment is fantastic.
'If we can get a run going, then you never know what can happen.'