Wolfsburg deny Marcelinho sale to Flamengo
Wolfsburg have confirmed midfielder Marcelinho has not been sold to Brazilian side Flamengo, conflicting with claims made by the Rio de Janeiro outfit earlier on Monday.
Flamengo announced on their website they had signed the 33-year-old on a contract until December 2010, a statement Wolfsburg have refuted.
'I cannot imagine that there is an agreement between Flamengo and Marcelinho,' said coach Felix Magath.
Magath has named Marcelinho in his squad for Tuesday's friendly with Palermo, although he admitted the chances of him remaining in the Bundesliga are slim.
The playmaker has requested a return to his native Brazil and Magath said on Sunday: 'I have spoken to Marcelinho and he has made it clear.
'There is no concrete offer as yet, but it could be that I need to get someone in the week.'
Much-travelled Marcelinho, who has also had spells with Sao Paulo, Gremio and Marseille among others, has scored 77 goals in 205 Bundesliga games, most of which came with Hertha Berlin.
The Campina Grande-born star left Hertha for Turkish club Trabzonspor in 2006 but returned to the Bundesliga in January 2007 to link up with Wolfsburg.
He was an unused substitute in Wolfsburg's DFB-Pokal win over Heidenheim on Sunday.