Espanyol are confident they will be able to keep hold of Spain forward Luis Garcia after rejecting an initial bid from Benfica.
The 27-year-old has been linked with the Portuguese side since revealing in early July he was keen to link up with Spanish coach Quique Sanchez Flores at the Estadio da Luz.
Espanyol coach Bartolome Marquez and sporting director Paco Herrera revealed last week that talks had been held with Benfica.
Those talks are reported to have ended in the Lisbon club making an official offer of around 8million euros.
On Tuesday Espanyol president Daniel Sanchez Llibre confirmed an offer had been rejected but would not be drawn on the sum.
'I'm not going to announce numbers. I'll only state that the offer is far from what Espanyol is asking,' he told Spanish newspaper El Mundo Deportivo.
'We're in no rush. We'll see what Benfica do from here.'
Herrera, on the other hand, revealed he expected Benfica to return with a renewed bid for the player.
However, he insisted that any bid that arrived would not be entertained.
'There won't be any negotiation,' he said.
'The decision will be reached by Benfica making a final offer and us giving our answer, which will also be final.'
According to reports in the Portuguese press Benfica will now turn their attention to Atletico Madrid's unwanted Spanish forward Jose Antonio Reyes.
Atletico president Enrique Cerezo was quoted in Portuguese newspaper O Jogo as saying: 'There's still nothing agreed, but very soon he should sign.'