St Etienne
Manchester United
LIVE 51'
Leg 2Aggregate: 0 - 4
Game Details
Sevilla FC
Leicester City
7:45 PM UTC
Leg 1
Game Details
FC Porto
7:45 PM UTC
Leg 1
Game Details
New York Red Bulls
Vancouver Whitecaps
1:00 AM UTC Feb 23, 2017
Leg 1
Game Details
Pumas UNAM
3:00 AM UTC Feb 23, 2017
Leg 1
Game Details
Bristol City
8:00 PM UTC
Game Details

Europa League round of 16 draw

Europa League

Trending: Lallana signs contract extension

By ESPN Staff

Confident Scolari targets four titles for Chelsea

Chelsea will challenge on all four domestic and European fronts next season, according to new coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.

Last season the Blues lost the Carling Cup final to Tottenham before suffering heartbreaking defeats to Manchester United in the race for domestic and European honours.

Scolari, who is reported to have set himself a one-trophy minimum target for the season, believes a long hard season lies ahead but is confident his squad can mount a substantial challenge for honours.

'We have four competitions this season and I try to win all four,'' said 59-year-old Scolari

'It is the same for the players. It will be very difficult but we have the team for it, we have the players for it. Chelsea have also given me everything I have wanted.

'I try and give confidence to my players. They sometimes make mistakes but I tell them that this is normal as long as they train hard. If they do their best the rest is my problem.

'Last year, they got into three finals and this is what I want.''

To help with the four-pronged assault, Scolari has identified a key core group of players he expects to build his team around despite only taking over after Euro 2008 - just over three weeks ago.

Scolari has so far witnessed Chelsea ease to back-to-back emphatic wins at the start of their pre-season tour of Asia, with the third and final game of the Far East leg taking place against a Malaysian League Select XI tomorrow.

'I know who my key players are,'' he explained.

'I have had 15 days with them and I know who is important for us to play more games than other players.

'You need to build a team around a few players in essential positions for important games and I now know who they.''

Despite identifying his key players, Scolari insists places in his team for the Premier League opener against Portsmouth on August 17 are available for the remaining squad players.

'I have in my mind one idea for the team to play against Portsmouth, but until then I want to see how the players train,'' he said.

'I have a minimum of 75% of the team in my mind but I need to know the other 25%.''

After recording a 4-0 win over Guangzhou Pharmaceutical in their pre-season opener last week and an equally emphatic 7-0 win against Chengdu Blades on Saturday, Scolari expects Tuesday's game at the Shah Alam Stadium in Kuala Lumpur to be a tougher test.

'I look at their list and they have four players from the best team in Malaysia,'' he added.

'I don't know if they are prepared to play Chelsea because Chelsea are a very strong team.

'We have scored 11 goals in two games but this game will be tougher than the other two games. These games are all about training but they are improving.''


Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.