AC Milan
Austria Vienna
8:05 PM UTC
Game Details
Apollon Limassol
8:05 PM UTC
Game Details
Vitesse Arnhem
Game Details
Game Details
6:00 PM UTC
Game Details
FC Astana
Game Details
Atlético Junior
11:45 PM UTC
Leg 1
Game Details
Vélez Sarsfield
Godoy Cruz de Mendoza
10:15 PM UTC
Game Details
Cruz Azul
1:30 AM UTC Nov 24, 2017
Leg 1
Game Details
3:30 AM UTC Nov 24, 2017
Leg 1
Game Details

Trending: Blind not to blame - Mourinho


Ramos trains alone, Navas nears return

Real Madrid

Pochettino on Rose: I'm the boss


Liverpool eye six-game unbeaten run vs. Chelsea

Five Aside
By ESPN Staff

Kaizer Chiefs 0-4 Manchester United

Sir Alex Ferguson saw his Manchester United side lift the Vodacom Challenge trophy thanks to goals from two senior professionals and two rookies.

Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney both found the target at the Loftus Versfeld Stadium as did Tom Cleverley and Fraizer Campbell.

United manager Ferguson used the showpiece match in South Africa to mix his side up with a game against Portsmouth to come in Nigeria tomorrow.

Apart from 18-year-old Cleverley, two other promising teenagers, Craig Cathcart and Rodrigo Possebon were also given run-outs.

It was a comfortable victory for United as the opposition looked weary after defeating Orlando Pirates on Thursday.

Chiefs had defeated United two years ago on penalties but they were outplayed this time around.

They could not cope with Rooney's intelligence and movement, no matter how hard they tried. He was targeted several times in the game but he managed to keep his temper in check.

Not only did he cap a hard shift by scoring, he also set up Cleverley's goal.

United were never really troubled and could have made the breakthrough as early as the fourth minute when Giggs released Rooney but he sent his chip marginally over the bar.

Rooney carved out another opening in the 16th minute but Itumeleng Khune made a comfortable save.

Rooney was looking lively and got away from Jonathan Quartey in the 20th minute only for Khune to kick it clear.

Siphiwe Tshabalala went close with a free-kick before Giggs made the breakthrough in the 40th minute with a shot high into the net following a cross from Lee Martin.

Rooney was caught by Quartey a minute into the second half as he tried to take advantage of the defender's short back pass.

The England striker was unhappy at being targeted every time he had possession but got on with the job in hand.

Giggs almost added a second in the 47th minute but Khune made a good block and Rooney sent the rebound into the side-netting.

Cathcart then got clear at the back post when Giggs floated the ball in but headed wide.

United's pressure paid off in the 57th minute when they went 2-0 ahead after Rooney slipped the ball past Khune after being set up by Danny Simpson.

United scored a third five minutes later and it was a moment to savour for Cleverley, who had replaced Possebon at half-time.

Brought up in Basingstoke, he clipped the ball home at the near post after Rooney had headed on a cross from Simpson.

The United players raced to congratulate Cleverley, who looked slightly embarrassed by all the fuss.

He had only arrived in South Africa on Thursday along with Cathcart and Possebon after Ferguson decided he could do with some reinforcements with two games in two days.

Substitute Campbell almost added a fourth in the 82nd minute only for Chiefs captain Jimmy Tau to clear off the line just as he was about to celebrate.

Campbell, who scored 15 goals on loan at Hull last season, made no mistake four minutes later to put the seal on an emphatic win.


Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.