Newcastle to hold talks with convicted Barton
LONDON, July 1 (Reuters) - Newcastle United plan to hold talks with jailed midfielder Joey Barton as soon as possible after he was convicted of assault on Tuesday for the second time in less than two months.
Greater Manchester Police said Barton was handed a suspended four month sentence for knocking out former Manchester City team mate Ousmane Dabo and beating him on the ground during a training session in May last year.
'Newcastle United notes the sentence passed to Joey Barton ... the club now intends to hold discussions with Joey and his representatives at the earliest possible opportunity,' Newcastle United said in a statement on its Web site (www.nufc.co.uk).
'Until such time that this meeting has taken place, there will be no further comment from the club.'
Barton, 25, returned to jail after his court appearance on Tuesday as he is still serving a six-month sentence for beating up a teenager during a night out last December. Police released television surveillance footage of the attack on Monday.
Barton, who has one England cap, joined Newcastle United for 5.8 million pounds in July 2007 after the training ground incident effectively ended his career with Manchester City.