No need for Capello to face Turin prosecutors
ROME, May 21 (Reuters) - England's preparations for next week's friendly against the United States will not be disrupted by manager Fabio Capello having to travel to Italy to speak to prosecutors.
British media reported earlier this month that Capello had been asked to appear before Turin prosecutors investigating tax evasion allegations on May 27, the day before the match at Wembley.
But prosecutors said on Wednesday the England manager's lawyers would be able to provide a statement on his behalf.
'He will not come, his lawyers will present a statement. It's his right to do this, there is nothing negative about it,' Marco Gianoglio, one of the prosecutors working on the case, said.
Capello and his family are being investigated for alleged tax fraud over earnings from the period he was coach of Serie A side AS Roma, from 1999-2004.
The 61-year-old, who has said his finances are in order, is also separately being probed on suspicion of withholding information in March at a trial of six men accused of wrongdoing in connection with Gea World sports agency.
The agency used to manage the careers of some top Italian players and coaches. Luciano Moggi, the former Juventus director central to Italy's match-fixing affair, is among the defendants.
Capello has said he is confident he will be cleared in both cases.