Canizares to leave Valencia at end of season
MADRID, May 16 (Reuters) - Valencia have agreed with goalkeeper Santiago Canizares to rescind his contract from the start of next week, the Primera Liga club said on Friday.
'I want to thank him for everything he has given this club. He has been an icon and we wish the very best of luck,' president Agustin Morera told a news conference.
'We would have liked it all to have finished in a better way but he deserves to leave the club with a big send off.'
Valencia host Atletico Madrid at the Mestalla on Sunday for their final game of the campaign. Canizares' contract, which had another year to run, will end on Monday.
The 38-year-old, who has been capped 45 times for Spain, has been at Valencia since leaving Real Madrid in 1998, helping them win two league titles, a UEFA Cup, and playing in two Champions League finals.
'I am going to listen to offers and if any of them interest me I will take them. If not I will do something else, because I also have offers to do other things. I haven't made up my mind on retirement,' said Canizares.
He lost his first-choice status to Germany's Timo Hildebrand this season, and suffered a further setback when then coach Ronald Koeman told him in December, along with team mates David Albelda and Miguel Angel Angulo, he would not play again this season.
When Koeman was sacked last month, new coach Salvador Gonzalez 'Voro' recalled him to the squad.
'I have a very different view from the one that the current bosses of Valencia have, but that doesn't mean to say we don't have a mutual respect for each other,' he added.
'Despite the differences that have emerged, I will never have negative feelings towards Valencia.'