Redknapp quit talk is 'rubbish'
Portsmouth chief executive Peter Storrie claims manager Harry Redknapp is furious at suggestions he will walk out on the club after Saturday's FA Cup final against Cardiff and labelled reports he is set to quit as 'an unbelievable load of rubbish'.
Storrie has spoken to Redknapp over what both suspect is a whispering campaign - an attempt to destabilise red-hot favourites Pompey's Wembley preparations.
And he has urged fans to ignore the rumours and get behind the team on Saturday.
He said: 'It's an unbelievable load of rubbish, complete and utter make believe. I can assure the fans that Harry is going absolutely nowhere. He has signed a long-term contract with the club and remains totally committed.
'Somebody rang us about these stories last night and I spoke to Harry about it. He is fuming, he really is. It's a joke, total rubbish. You just wonder whether these people have an agenda because it's doing us no good.'
Storrie added in the Portsmouth News: 'We are about to play the FA Cup final and people are coming out with this. It's hardly helping things. We don't need this at this moment.
'People should not believe any of it, though. It is complete and utter nonsense. Where these silly stories come from I have no idea. They are nonsense, just nonsense.
'Harry is furious about this - we all are. It's a load of rubbish.'
Redknapp, 61, signed a new contract in October last year, which ties him to the Fratton Park club until the summer of 2011.
Months later he turned down the chance to take the helm at Newcastle to remain at Pompey. And since then he has led his side to eighth place in the Barclays Premier League - their best finish for more than half a century.
Redknapp and Storrie have already been discussing summer transfer targets in a bid for an even better season next term.
But last week fresh rumours surfaced of Redknapp quitting after the FA Cup final, although he insisted: 'What else would I do? I'm Portsmouth's manager and I love my job.'
Recently, though, Redknapp has been through the mill in his personal life.
His home was raided in November by police officers probing alleged corruption in football and he was arrested - along with five other men, including Storrie - and bailed on charges of fraud and false accounting. He is currently taking legal proceedings against the police.
He is also highly concerned about the welfare of his wife Sandra, who was said to be traumatised by the police raid and then suffered more heartbreak with the death of her twin sister Pat - mother of Chelsea star Frank Lampard.