Juventus and Moggi charged after second probe
ROME, April 23 (Reuters) - Juventus, its former general manager Luciano Moggi and match officials have been charged in the second part of a probe into the 2006 match-fixing scandal, Italy's football federation (FIGC) said on Wednesday.
Moggi had already been banned from football for five years after the first part of the probe for leading attempts to secure compliant referees for some teams' games.
He is now accused of giving foreign mobile telephone SIM cards to match officials to create a secret system of communication with them, the FIGC said on its website.
Moggi is also accused of breaking FIGC rules by carrying out the functions of a club director for Messina, a second-division side who were in the top flight when the scandal broke, while he was also a senior executive of Juventus.
Nine current and former referees and assistants, along with a former refereeing official, are accused of using the SIM cards provided by Moggi.
Three of the referees are still on the Serie A roster although they have not been used while the probe was ongoing.
Juventus, who were stripped of two league titles and relegated to Serie B when the first wave of punishments for the scandal was handed out in 2006, have been charged because Moggi was working for them at the time of the alleged offences.
The Turin club won promotion back to Serie A last season and are currently third.
Messina have also been charged with involvement in the affair along with president Pietro Franza and two former directors.