Real Sociedad
LIVE 62'
Game Details
Deportivo La Coruña
LIVE 16'
Game Details

Five reasons why Koeman failed


Kossie claims honours in 0-0 draw

Sydney FC coach John Kosmina claimed Queensland should be concerned heading into the second leg of the minor semi-final after the Roar held on for a 0-0 draw in the opening match of the A-League finals series.

Sydney created the better chances - most notably to Alex Brosque early in the second half - but failed to claim the vital goal as Roar goalkeeper Griffin McMaster starred to keep his side alive in the elimination tie and force the third scoreless draw between the teams.

In 360 minutes of football this season, only one goal has been scored in Sydney-Roar clashes.

Penalties loom as a fair bet to decide the tie in Brisbane in two weeks - but Kosmina remained confident his side could do the job at Suncorp Stadium if they created as many chances as they did at the Sydney Football Stadium.

"If we get the same opportunity up there I'll be more than happy, because we'll finish one up that's for sure, because once again Queensland couldn't get in behind us," Kosmina said.

"Queensland have got more to worry about than us, they couldn't break us down, we opened them up quite a few times and got into some really good areas."

In reply, Roar coach Farina quipped "since when have I listened to what Kossie's said" before admitting his team had some work to do for the re-match.

"Before the game we would have accepted that (the draw) more than Sydney would have," Farina said.

"I'll take the result, I'm not over the moon about it, but still there's everything to play for both sides so it sets up one of the classics in two weeks time."

While being careful with his words, Farina appeared none too impressed with the heavy-handed treatment given to teenage stars Michael Zullo and Robbie Kruse.

In a physical clash which saw a half-dozen yellow cards, Zullo in particular came in for some heavy treatment - first from Sydney skipper Tony Popovic and then right back Iain Fyfe, who floored Zullo with solid bump well away from the ball.

Fyfe's challenge will likely come under review.

"All I'll say is every time Zullo or Kruse played the ball past the defenders they were fouled. Consistently," Farina said.

Pint-sized Sydney star Juninho also copped a few knocks - most notably from Craig Moore early, and then Josh McCloughan in the second half.

Sydney, though, suffered the biggest blow of a scoreless first half when influential midfielder Robbie Middleby hobbled off with a hamstring strain just 25 minutes in. He may yet be in doubt for the return leg in two weeks.

Brosque twice found himself one-on-one with McMaster in the space of six minutes early in the second half, but on both occasions the rookie Roar 'keeper came up trumps.

The 23-year-old also snuffed out a dangerous ball from Juninho to Brosque 10 minutes from time to complete a man-of-the-match performance.

Juninho played perhaps his best game of an injury troubled season, setting the stadium alight early with an electrifying run, and providing Sydney's best path to goal throughout the night.

Six players will walk the suspension tightrope in the second leg - should they progress to the preliminary final - with Sydney trio Mark Milligan, Brendan Renaud and Ufuk Talay, and Queensland's Sasa Ognenovski, Matt McKay and McCloughan all booked.