Megson still hoping to fend off Anelka suitors
Bolton manager Gary Megson is still hoping to retain the services of Nicolas Anelka.
Chelsea are set to make an improved offer for the France striker after having their first bid, believed to be £12million, rejected.
After last night's Carling Cup semi-final first leg victory over Everton, Chelsea manager Avram Grant said: 'We have confirmed our interest in Anelka. We wanted him for Tuesday and I hope that he will now get him for Saturday.'
But Megson said: 'I have spoken about the situation with Nic and we agreed there is not a massive amount he or I can do.
'It is just as to whether the clubs can reach an agreement. I am still hopeful they can't and he stays here. But that remains to be seen.
'However, the deal has to suit all the parties - the selling club, the buying club and the person involved.'
Meanwhile, Bolton are preparing to table a bid for AZ Alkmaar defender Gretar Steinsson, according to the player's agent.
The Iceland international, 26, was a reported target of Middlesbrough and Newcastle earlier in the season but appeared to have ended speculation over his future by signing a one-year contract extension at AZ in November.
'It is my ambition to play in England but first I want to improve here,' Steinsson said at the time.
However, the player's agent, Jerry de Jong, has now revealed that a move to England is again in the offing, with Megson ready to match AZ's valuation of the player.
'Hopefully Bolton are prepared to go far [with their offer],' De Jong said. 'Gretar never made a secret of his desire to play in England.'
Steinsson is in his third season with the Eredivisie club and is under contract until June 2012.