Former Juve director Moggi faces fresh claims
NAPLES, Italy, Dec 15 (Reuters) - Prosecutors have opened a new investigation into a former Juventus director at the centre of last year's match-fixing scandal, alleging he continued to have an influence on Italian soccer after he was banned.
Magistrates presented new wiretaps at a preliminary hearing in Naples on Saturday that will be used in the fresh probe into former Juventus general manager Luciano Moggi and other people for alleged criminal association, judicial sources said.
The wiretaps concern phone calls between October 2006 and March 2007, after a sports tribunal banned Moggi from football for five years as well as punishing referees, club directors and former Italian federation officials.
One of the sources, who declined to be identified, told Reuters the wiretaps indicated Moggi 'still had an influence' on Italian soccer after he was banned. The source added the new probe did not include any further accusations of match-fixing.
'I don't think (the new documents) regard felonies but I have not read the papers yet,' Moggi's lawyer Paolo Trofino told reporters at the court house.
'It seems to me they are normal contacts between Moggi and his collaborators but it is necessary to see what's in the documents. Moggi talks to anyone.'
Saturday's hearing was held to decide whether 37 people accused of sporting fraud for their involvement in the scandal, including Moggi, should be sent to a criminal trial.
The hearing was adjourned to Feb. 8.
Moggi possibly faces prison if sent to trial and found guilty. Lazio president Claudio Lotito and Fiorentina honorary president Diego Della Valle are also among the accused.
The former Juve director is accused of being at the centre of attempts to gain favourable referees to influence results in the 2004-05 season.
Last year a sports tribunal stripped Juventus of their 2005 and 2006 Serie A titles and relegated them to Serie B because of the affair.
AC Milan, Fiorentina, Lazio, Reggina and Arezzo received points deductions for their involvement in the latest of a number of match-rigging incidents in Italy in the past 30 years.
Juventus achieved immediate promotion last season and are now third in Serie A.