FA: No shortlist drawn up for England job yet
The Football Association have again insisted they have not offered anyone the England manager's job and are yet to even draw up a short-list.
Jose Mourinho has been heavily linked with the role in recent days, with a salary of £6million-per-year being mentioned in some quarters, and the FA are bracing themselves for more names to be thrown into the ring overnight.
Candidates such as Fabio Capello, Jurgen Klinsmann, Guus Hiddink and Luiz Felipe Scolari have all been mentioned at various times since Steve McClaren's dismissal last week, while top home contender Martin O'Neill has now unequivocally ruled himself out of the running.
However, the FA have made it clear chief executive Brian Barwick, who is working in tandem with director of football development Sir Trevor Brooking, has still not completed his extensive consultation exercise with senior figures within the game.
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson said yesterday he had yet to be approached and the Scot is definitely among a group Barwick wants to speak to.
And not until that process is complete will Barwick and Brooking come up with an appropriate plan of action to recruit the 'world-class' manager they are looking for.
'The FA can confirm no individual has been approached by Brian Barwick or Sir Trevor Brooking with regard to being offered the job of next England manager,' said head of communications Adrian Bevington.
'There is no formal shortlist and no salaries have been discussed with any individual.
'We have been very clear that Brian and Trevor will consult with figures across the game - and they are already well into that process - before making any such approach or appointment.
'We are conscious there is a huge level of interest in this and we are trying to be as transparent as possible.'
In some senses, Barwick and Brooking have plenty of time to make their mind up given England are not in competitive action until the World Cup qualifiers begin in September.
However, with a friendly against Switzerland on February 6, another in March against France in Paris and more matches, including the possibility of one against Scotland, due to be played in May, in an ideal world, the FA would have their man on board sooner rather than later.
Given a number of the potential candidates, specifically Mourinho, Capello and Klinsmann, are currently out of work, there should be no delay in confirming an appointment if one of that trio was deemed the right man.
'Whilst there is no set time frame we are understandably working on this as our number one priority,' added Bevington.
'But nobody has been approached by Brian Barwick or Sir Trevor Brooking and there is no short-list.'