Ronaldinho to be granted dual nationality
MADRID, Aug 24 (Reuters) - Ronaldinho said on Friday he was determined to avoid the mistakes of last season and make this one his best at Barcelona.
The club also announced that the Brazilian will be granted dual nationality on Monday and thus free up one of the three berths in the squad permitted for non-European Union players.
And the 27-year-old said he is intent on displaying peak form for the new campaign.
'I'm going to make a big effort to ensure that this is my best season,' he told a news conference.
'I'm really pleased with the way things have gone in pre-season. When you are in good physical shape, things come more easily and every day I feel more motivated.'
Ronaldinho, who joined Barca from Paris St. Germain in 2003, helped steer the Catalans to back-to-back league titles in 2005 and 2006 and victory in the Champions League.
Last season he was the club's top scorer with 21 goals but came in for heavy criticism for missing a large number of training sessions and appearing to be out of shape.
The Spanish media also reported a dressing room rift with the club's Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o.
But the twice winner of the World Player of the Year award said last season's problems had been rectified.
'We have talked over what we did wrong last season and we are all now working to ensure that we become a champion team again.'
The Brazilian denied that the signing of new players like Thierry Henry would mean there was an increased chance of a clash of egos.
'All the players that have come to the club are experienced and are very keen to triumph here,' he said. 'They are all known worldwide, but they all have their feet on the ground. I think the team is well focused and more motivated than ever.'
The team open their league campaign away to Racing Santander on Sunday.