Moyes worry about Cahill's busy summer
Everton boss David Moyes is concerned midfielder Tim Cahill will try to 'do too much' to get himself fit for Australia's Asian Cup campaign in July.
Although Moyes has held meetings with Australia boss Graham Arnold recently and both men have a far better understanding of each other's problems than had been the case in the past, the Goodison Park chief will monitor Cahill's comeback with concern.
Everton's influential midfielder has been sidelined since March 3 after he broke the fifth metatarsal in his left foot during a 1-1 draw against Sheffield United.
Although his rehabilitation programme has gone smoothly so far, Moyes has concerns that Cahill might try to do too much too soon to get ready for Australia's Asian Cup challenge.
Their first game of that tournament is against Oman on July 8 in Bangkok, with the final taking place in Jakarta three weeks later.
That means Cahill will already miss a sizeable portion of Everton's pre-season preparations, and Moyes does not want to contemplate kicking off the new campaign without the 28-year-old.
Moyes told the Liverpool Echo: 'Tim is doing well but he had a really bad metatarsal break. We have got to hope that the Australians will only play him if he is 100% right, as we pay his wages and need to get use from him.'
Moyes has also told Everton's injured contingent they will not be allowed to leave for their summer holidays until the club are happy they have fully recovered.
Tony Hibbert, Joseph Yobo and James Vaughan have all been at Bellefield this week, as has Andrew Johnson following surgery on his damaged ankle, and they have all come under scrutiny from physio Mick Rathbone.
Moyes added: 'I do not like to go on about injuries. But when you look back, we missed four important players for large parts of the last campaign.
'We had to play through important periods without our key players and that would hurt any team.'