Italian teams given OK to resume night games
ROME -- Italian soccer league president Antonio Matarrese said Thursday that Serie A teams will be able to resume playing night matches the weekend of Feb. 24-25.
Matarrese told reporters after meeting with police officials, as the country continued its recovery from the death of a policeman in fan rioting that forced officials to halt all play.
All matches were suspended after a policeman died Feb. 2 in rioting outside Catania's stadium in Sicily, and night matches also were scrapped.
Last week, the games resumed and stadiums that met new safety standards were allowed to admit fans. Most other teams, whose stadiums did not meet the requirements, were allowed to play, but in closed venues.
Rome's Stadio Olimpico was among the handful of stadiums that were allowed to admit fans, and Milan's San Siro stadium was allowed to let in season-ticket holders but not other fans.
The Italian news agency said Parma's stadium was the latest to meet the standards and will be open to the public.
Night games will be permitted, albeit without fans, even if the new standards have not been met.
The safety requirements include having closed circuit surveillance cameras and turnstiles at the entrances.