Portsmouth await results of Mendes scan
Portsmouth are hopeful Pedro Mendes will be fit to face Blackburn in their next Premiership game despite being carried off after a horror tackle by Manchester City's Joey Barton on Saturday.
The Portuguese midfielder is waiting for the results of a scan of his torn heel that appeared to be trod on by Barton.
Mendes was left on crutches and taking painkillers after the game but did not go to hospital and was walking freely at the club's training ground today.
Pompey do not play again until a week on Sunday at Ewood Park, because of this weekend's fifth-round FA Cup commitments. Rovers play the winners of the Arsenal-Bolton replay while Pompey were knocked out in round four by Manchester United.
And if Mendes comes back against Blackburn that will be only two days less than his return from the even more sickening incident he suffered against City earlier this season when Ben Thatcher - now with Charlton - laid him out with a forearm smash.
Mendes was in hospital on a drip after being unconscious on the pitch on that occasion but missed only one game, Pompey's 4-0 win at Middlesbrough on August 28 before an international weekend break halted the Premiership and allowed him to come back against Wigan on September 9.
Barton's challenge on Mendes infuriated Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp, who admitted he used blue language in a half-time rant at referee Mike Dean and was banished to the stands for the second half.
He faces a possible fine and the last time that happened was nearly four years ago to the day after Redknapp made comments to referee Andy D'Urso who booked eight players in the goalless Wolves-Pompey game at Molineux.
Redknapp said: 'If I get fined again I will have to go and see Mr Gaydamak (Portsmouth's owner) about the money - but although I did swear I never swore AT the referee or went at him badly.'
An FA spokesman said they are awaiting reports from match officials and would consider video footage before handing out any charges.