West Ham deny making £18million Bent bid
West Ham United have insisted they have made no offer for Charlton Athletic striker Darren Bent.
Earlier on Tuesday sources claimed an £18million bid had been rejected for the England international who is being tracked by a number of Premiership clubs.
A West Ham spokesman said: 'West Ham would like to make it clear that no bid has been submitted because Charlton have made it clear Darren Bent is not for sale.'
Three weeks ago Addicks boss Alan Pardew had indicated he may be prepared to do business but has since changed his mind and insisted he is not for sale.
'There have been so many rumours, with most of the players going to West Ham,' Pardew said.
'But, on Hermann Hreidarsson and Darren Bent, I made the statement a week ago and I would like to think Charlton fans take me at my word.
'They are not going - and they are not going to go now.'
Bent, 22, is currently sidelined with a knee injury sustained in the clash with Aston Villa. The complaint could keep him out until mid-February.
Bent has become one of the most highly-prized assets in the top flight thanks to his form over the last two seasons.
He scored 22 goals in his first Premiership season last year and has notched another 11 this term, despite playing in a struggling team.
A host of clubs including West Ham, Aston Villa and Tottenham have been linked with moves for the striker.