O'Neill ready to wait for Wright-Phillips
Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has admitted he may renew his interest in signing Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips during the summer.
Villa made a bid this month for Wright-Phillips - believed to be around £10million - but the player was only willing to join on loan until the end of the season.
Chelsea were unwilling for that happen in what would have been a short-term swap deal with Milan Baros who has since signed for Lyon.
But O'Neill has not ruled out further moves for Wright-Phillips despite since signing another player who can operate in a wide role in Ashley Young from Watford.
O'Neill said: 'We did make a bid for Wright-Phillips - but I must stress this was in addition to anything we were trying to sort out with Ashley Young.
'It wasn't a case of Wright-Phillips instead of Young. Absolutely not.
'In terms of a permanent move, Wright-Phillips wanted more time to think about it and I can understand him wanting to still try and make it at Chelsea.
'However, the loan was something he was interested in and, you never know, we might revisit it during the summer.'
Meanwhile, an unnamed Premiership club are understood to be lining up a bid for Lee Hendrie after it had appeared Villa were ready to allow the midfielder to return to Stoke on loan following a three-month period there up until the new year.
Blackburn have been strongly linked with Hendrie and have a gap to fill in midfield following Robbie Savage's broken leg.
O'Neill has brought in three players so far in January but is eager for further new blood before the window closes next Wednesday.
He said: 'Because we have no game this weekend, I will be looking to see if I can do something. I am thinking of a couple of things at the minute.
'I haven't actually put a bid in but I know what I am looking at.'
O'Neill is being constantly linked with Chris Burke (Rangers) and Shaun Maloney (Celtic).