Banned Delgado gets involved in bar brawl
QUITO, Jan 25 (Reuters) - Former Ecuador striker Agustin Delgado has been accused of punching a man during a bar brawl police said on Thursday.
Delgado, who was banned from playing for a year in December for his part in a melee after a match, has been called in by authorities to give his testimony about a bar fight, police spokesman Ricardo Rosales said.
A woman has claimed the incident happened after she refused to dance with Delgado at a New Year's Eve party in Imbabura province.
Rosales said no arrest warrant had been issued against the player, but Delgado has been summoned to voluntarily settle the accusation filed by the woman and her brother.
Delgado could not be reached for comment.
His brother told a local newspaper that Delgado was not involved in the bar fight.
The striker's contract with Ecuadorian club LDU expired in December, according to a team official, and the 32-year-old was travelling abroad in search of another side.
LDU's executive Patricio Torres declined to say which country Delgado had travelled to but said the club was continuing to challenge the Ecuadorean Football Federation's ruling on the ban.
'This ban is not fair and we have asked FIFA not to approve the international ban request,' Torres said.
A FIFA spokesman was not able to reply immediately on any ruling on the ban.
Ecuadorean media reported that Delgado was in talks with New York's Red Bulls, but a spokesman of the Major League Soccer's team declined to comment.
After his suspension, Delgado's relatives blocked a road with burning tyres and rubble in his native village in 'El Chota' valley and demanded soccer officials lift the ban.
The player even asked Congress to persuade the federation to remove the suspension.
He apologised for taking part in the fight in which he was filmed kicking and punching opponents.