FA charge Emre with 'racially-aggravated abusive'
Newcastle midfielder Emre will deny allegations that he used racist abuse after being charged by the Football Association.
The 26-year-old Turkish international has until January 29 to respond to an accusation of 'using racially-aggravated abusive and/or insulting words' during his side's 3-0 Barclays Premiership defeat at Everton on December 30.
FA chiefs confirmed this afternoon that Emre had been charged after considering Everton's response to their request for further information about the incident.
A spokesman said: 'The FA have charged Newcastle United midfielder Belozoglu Emre with using racially-aggravated abusive and/or insulting words.
'The charge relates to an incident during the match against Everton at Goodison Park on December 30, 2006.
'He has until 29 January to respond to the charge.'
However, Newcastle responded by confirming that the former Inter Milan star would deny the allegations.
A statement read: 'We are aware that the FA have charged Emre, but, as the player has not yet had an opportunity to submit a reply to the charge, we cannot comment further at this time other than to say the player intends to deny the charge.'
The FA launched an investigation after Emre became involved in an angry exchange with goalkeeper Tim Howard and defender Joleon Lescott when the Magpies were awarded a first-half penalty, with Joseph Yobo later joining the fray.
Referee Dermot Gallagher did not hear what was said and after consulting his assistant, spoke to the Newcastle player, but took no further action.
However, he revealed in his match report to the FA that he had been informed of the allegations and they contacted the Toffees to request their observations.
Today's news will come as a disappointment to Magpies boss Glenn Roeder, who revealed last Friday that he believed the matter was closed.
He said at the time: 'There is no charge to be answered. Everton are comfortable with that as well.
'It is a closed matter as far as I am concerned. It has really bothered Emre, as you can imagine.
'We have black players in the team and in the squad and we are all together, we are all the same.
'I would not tolerate anyone that showed any sign of any racism.
'I grew up as a small boy in East London with black boys and all my life, I have been surrounded by all sorts of races.
'As far as I am concerned, we are all exactly the same.'
But the FA insist the case was ongoing and after considering the evidence, made their move today.
It is not the first time Emre, who could return to action after a groin injury at Tottenham on Sunday, has been involved in controversy during his time at St James' Park.
He reacted furiously to comments made by a member of the Reading coaching staff during his side's 3-2 victory on Tyneside on December 6 before going on to score the winning goal.