Moyes denies Davies Fulham switch rumours
Everton boss David Moyes has rubbished reports linking Simon Davies with a move to Fulham.
The 27-year-old former Tottenham winger has been linked with a return to London with the Cottagers and was left out of the squad for Sunday's FA Cup third round defeat to Blackburn.
But Moyes insists the Wales international's omission was purely tactical, insisting any transfer rumours were wide of the mark.
He told the club's official website: 'There is nothing in that at all.
'I wanted James Vaughan in the side and wanted to get him involved. I chose not to use Simon because we also needed a defender in view of the fact Nuno Valente had been suffering from a hamstring problem.'
Left-back Valente lasted less than half of yesterday's 4-1 defeat following a collision with Blackburn's David Bentley, in which he hurt a knee.
The injury was described as significant by Everton physio Mick Rathbone but the extent of the problem will not be known until later today.
Meanwhile, in-form midfielder Mikel Arteta is keen to extend his stay at Goodison Park.
The 24-year-old Spaniard has been at the club for almost two years, the first three-and-a-half months of which were on loan from Real Sociedad.
He said: 'I am really happy and, as long as the club want me to stay, I don't have a problem.
'Maybe the talks could start in the summer. We don't have to get together till then.'
The uncapped Arteta is even prepared to put his dream of playing international football on hold to continue his Toffees career.
'Maybe there's not too many games on television that they can watch in Spain. Obviously Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and United are the most recognised teams,' he said.
'That means it's a bit harder for me, but I'm trying hard and one day hopefully I'll get the chance to play.
'I never said I needed to leave to play for the national team. I am really happy here and that is more important than going to the national team.'