Bury to appeal against FA Cup disqualification
LONDON, Dec 21 (Reuters) - Former FA Cup winners Bury are to appeal against their expulsion from this season's competition after fielding an ineligible player in their 3-1 win over Chester City in a second round replay last week.
Bury director Iain Mills said: 'We find it unusual we have the right to appeal and will gladly take that road. We will work now to get this matter back to the FA on Dec. 28.'
Manager Chris Casper offered to resign over the incident but the Bury board said there was no question of him losing his job over the matter.
Chester have been reinstated in the world's oldest cup competition, subject to the appeal, and will play Ipswich Town at home in the third round next month.
The FA said on their Web site that Bury, who play in the fourth tier in England, breached Rule 15 regarding eligibility by fielding 19-year-old midfielder Stephen Turnbull, on loan from Hartlepool United, without permission from Hartlepool and without notifying the FA in time that they intended playing him.
Bury won the FA Cup in 1900 when they beat Southampton 4-0 in the final and again in 1903 when they beat Derby County 6-0 - still the record winning score in any final since the competition began in 1871-72.