Mourinho says sorry for Johnson outburst
Jose Mourinho today apologised following the comments he made about Everton striker Andrew Johnson after Chelsea's victory at Goodison Park on Sunday.
Everton revealed yesterday they would be making an official complaint to the Football Association after Mourinho implied the England international had dived.
His comments prompted the Merseyside club, in association with the player's agent, to issue a statement calling for a retraction.
Everton have also taken legal advice over Mourinho's remarks which, they say, question Johnson's 'professionalism and integrity'.
Mourinho said today: 'First I would like to say I have the utmost respect for Everton Football Club, David Moyes and their players. That's why I love to play them, and especially at Goodison Park where the atmosphere is magnificent.
'Secondly, after the match I was clear and said Andy Johnson is a great player and I never used aggressive words, like some managers did against my players in previous seasons, or like some others recently said about him and Ronaldo. I never used the word `cheat'.
'After seeing it again on the video, (referee) Mr Halsey did wonderful work and both decisions for penalties were correct. Did Andy Johnson try to avoid a collision with my goalkeeper? It seems now the answer to that is yes so Everton, his manager and he deserve my apologies.'
At Goodison Park, Mourinho branded Johnson 'a dangerous kind of opponent' after sparking an angry touchline argument with his reaction to Johnson's tumble over goalkeeper Hilario.
The Blues boss waved an imaginary yellow card in the air and then laid into Johnson after the game, claiming the player had been 'embarrassed' by his conduct.
'You cannot trust him,' he said. 'A great player but too much of that.'