Trotters keen to bolster squad with free-agent Tristan
Bolton boss Sam Allardyce has confirmed he is interested in signing Spanish striker Diego Tristan.
The former Deportivo La Coruna player is available on a free transfer after having his contract with the La Liga club cancelled.
And, although Allardyce admits the Trotters face competition in trying to attract the 30-year-old, he is hopeful of eventually being able to tie up a deal which would help strengthen a squad he was not able to bolster as much as he would have liked before the transfer window closed last month.
'We have an interest in Diego Tristan,' said Allardyce.
'He is a player with a very good track record who is available because of his situation at Deportivo.
'The difficulty for us is that a number of clubs may also be interested, who he could perceive to be bigger than we are or are offering more money, so we will see how we go on.'
Although £8million new signing Nicolas Anelka is ready to make his Bolton debut against newly-promoted Watford at the Reebok Stadium on Saturday, Allardyce could certainly do with some attacking reinforcements at present.
Kevin Davies is already sidelined with a fractured cheekbone, while Stelios Giannakopoulos has now been ruled out for three weeks after picking up a groin injury training with Greece ahead of this week's Euro 2008 qualifying win over Moldova.
'Stelios picked up a problem in Greece which will unfortunately keep him out for the best part of three weeks,' said Allardyce.
'It is a deep-lying injury which needs rest to enable it to settle down and allow Stelios to recover.
'It is a big disappointment for us because he was our leading goalscorer in the Premiership last season and he will be missed.'