Bayern Munich
VfL Wolfsburg
6:30 PM UTC
Game Details
Beijing Guoan
Shanghai SIPG
Game Details
Chongqing Lifan
Guangzhou Evergrande
Game Details

Trending: Lukaku wants chant to stop

By ESPN Staff

Rangers in a spot of bother at Kilmarnock

GLAGSOW Aug 27 (Reuters) - Rangers missed the chance to go top of the Scottish Premier League with a 2-2 draw at Kilmarnock in a dramatic finish on Sunday.

Kilmarnock's Steve Naismith fired home a penalty in stoppage time after Alan Hutton was ruled to have handled the ball inside the penalty area.

Champions Celtic top the standings with 10 points from five games, ahead of Hearts on goal difference, after beating Hibernian 2-1 on Saturday. Rangers have nine from five matches and sit equal third with Aberdeen.

'We deserved the win,' Rangers manager Paul Le Guen told BBC Radio Scotland.

'It is so frustrating, and the penalty at the end, it is strange, but it is his (the referee's) decision.

'We had a lot of good movement and we played well and that is why we are frustrated. I think we deserved a better result than we got today,' the Frenchman added.

'We need the points to help with confidence ...but we must be more efficient and more consistent even if I am pleased with the way we played today.'

Former Kilmarnock striker Kris Boyd put Rangers ahead two minutes from the interval when he took a pass from Croatian forward Dado Prso in the box and cracked a low shot into the left corner.

But Frazer Wright headed his first goal for Kilmarnock on 63 minutes from a Gary Wales corner after beating Rangers keeper Allan McGregor to the ball at the near post.

Boyd grabbed his second with five minutes left when he gathered another Prso pass on the left of the box and drilled a low shot into the middle of the net.

However, Hutton handled a cross from Spanish sub David Fernandez and Naismith blasted the spot kick high into the net

The home side had been denied two strong penalty claims in the first half.

Rangers keeper Allan McGregor brought Naismith down at a corner but referee Alan Freeland waved away heated protests and dismissed another claim when Boyd appeared to handle a Colin Nish cross.

'I know Rangers had a lot of great chances in the first half and were the better side,' Kilmarnock manager Jim Jefferies said.

'We changed it with a couple of players in the second half. I think the penalty was overdue because we had a couple of shouts before that and were unlucky on the first two occasions.'