DC United
Montreal Impact
11:30 PM UTC
Game Details
Seattle Sounders FC
Sporting Kansas City
2:00 AM UTC Oct 28, 2016
Game Details

Tottenham missing Harry Kane


Real Sociedad employ homeless man

La Liga

Why Griezmann is perfect for PSG

Paris Saint-Germain

Referee Mike Dean sniffs assistant

The Toe Poke
By ESPN Staff

Real Salt Lake sneaks past Crew on last-minute goal

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Carey Talley's goal in the 90th minute gave Real Salt Lake a 2-1 victory over the Columbus Crew on Wednesday night. Talley ripped Jeff Cunningham's endline pass into the back of the net for his second goal of the year, silencing the crowd. Chris Klein also scored for Real, while Sebastian Rozental converted a first-half penalty kick for Columbus. The loss extended the Crew's team-record winless streak to 13 games, now the second-longest in MLS history, and had coach Sigi Schmid thinking about quitting before he finishes his first season in Columbus. "I feel sorry for the fans. I've never felt this way. Maybe it's me. Maybe I need to step away. Maybe I need to resign," Schmid said. "Maybe they need somebody else because obviously I'm not getting the job done. And I've never had that feeling with any team I've ever coached, but right now I have that feeling with this team and that's something I've got to wrestle with." Schmid, who led the Los Angeles Galaxy to three MLS Cup appearances and a championship, has almost totally remade the Crew, bringing on a number of players he coached earlier in his career. But his squad has the fewest points in MLS (20) and is tied with Los Angeles for the fewest goals scored (17). Columbus (4-11-8) remained mired at the bottom of the Eastern Conference while Salt Lake (7-10-5) moved past the Galaxy and out of last place in the Western Conference. Referee Baldomero Toledo gave the Crew a penalty kick in the 23rd minute when he whistled Salt Lake defender Willis Forko for fouling Crew midfielder Jacob Thomas inside the penalty area. Replays showed the ball and Thomas appeared out of bounds when Forko bumped him, and Toledo held an unusually long sideline conference with assistant referee Greg Barkey before awarding the penalty. Rozental converted for his second goal of the season. Cunningham nearly evened the score four minutes later when he fired a low, hard shot at goal from 10 yards out. The shot found its way between Gaudette's legs, who stopped the ball by sitting on it. Klein found space in the penalty area after taking a long through ball from midfielder Andy Williams in the 75th minute. He brought Salt Lake level with a precision right-footed strike from 14 yards that flew past goalkeeper Bill Gaudette for Klein's fourth goal on the year. Klein said Salt Lake's late pressure was the result of good conditioning. "This team has a lot of endurance," Klein said. "We work a lot on fitness and we feel it at the end of games." The last-minute victory didn't win any style points in the eyes of Salt Lake coach John Ellinger. "You want to play well. You want to play exciting soccer. But sometimes you've just got to get over the hump and win ugly if you have to," Ellinger said. "We weren't impressive in the first half, but in the second half I thought we did much better." Jason Kreis beat Gaudette to a loose ball six yards to the right of the goal in the 32nd minute, but shot it into the side netting. Goalkeeper Scott Garlick kept Salt Lake in the game when he pushed Joseph Ngwenya's close-range chip shot over the crossbar in the 58th minute. Cunningham just missed in the 89th minute when he curled his right-footed shot just oustide the post. Salt Lake defender Eddie Pope was shown a yellow card for rough play in the 8th minute. Columbus captain Ritchie Kotschau was carded in the 70th minute. Garlick was booked for wasting time during second-half stoppage time.