Tottenham target Blackburn's Neill
Tottenham's search for a right-back has homed in on Blackburn's Australian star Lucas Neill after chairman Daniel Levy ended the club's interest in Wigan defender Pascal Chimbonda.
Levy told Wigan he was not prepared to meet their £6million asking price for Chimbonda and has now targeted Neill from Lancashire rivals Blackburn.
Tottenham's chances of landing Neill were significantly enhanced today when the player's agent, Peter Harrison, confirmed his client was heading towards the exit door at Ewood Park.
Neill has less than a year left on his current deal with Rovers and attempts to secure his services on a long-term contract appear to be over after Neill rejected their offer.
Harrison said: 'They have made an offer which Lucas has declined - he is not going to be signing a new contract at Blackburn.
'He has enjoyed his time there, he loves the club and the fans and he is happy there, he just feels it is time for a change in career.
'If he has to stay he will have to stay, but this is not about money at all.
'There will probably be more talks before the end of August, but it doesn't look as if he will stay but as always he will continue to do his best for Blackburn,' he told Sky Sports.
Neill was exceptional for Australia during the World Cup finals and Blackburn are almost certain to cash-in on the defender rather than allow him to walk out on a free transfer next summer.
That will give Tottenham increased motivation to land the player but the Londoners remained silent about their interest in him on Friday.
Spurs switched their attentions to Neill after Wigan boss Paul Jewell refused to lower his £6million valuation of Chimbonda.
Jewell's stance forced Chimbonda to claim that the Wigan had reneged on a verbal agreement in January which allowed him to leave if a big club made a bid.
But Jewell dismissed his claims and revealed Spurs chairman Levy informed him the Londoners would look elsewhere instead.
'I spoke to Daniel Levy (Spurs chairman) and told him what we want for him. Spurs are not prepared to pay that.
'As far as I can tell, from what Daniel Levy said to me, Spurs will now be moving on.'
Meanwhile, Spurs reserve goalkeeper Marton Fulop has voiced his disappointment after the Londoners vetoed a possible move to Coventry.
Fulop is being retained by Spurs because of their involvement in the UEFA Cup next season.
The player is in the final year of his contract and desperately hopes that City will renew their interest again in January.
The 23-year-old Hungarian said: 'Spurs won't let me go to Coventry and I am bitterly disappointed. Tottenham are in Europe and they need three keepers.
'They have tried to get another one in over the summer but been unable to do so, so I have to stay here to see out my last year of my contract.
'But I still want to go to Coventry and maybe if the gaffer is still interested in me he can try to get me in the winter or next summer when my contract is up.'
Spurs have confirmed they have not made any official bid for Neill as yet.'