Parreira Brazil future yet to be decided
RIO DE JANEIRO, July 3 (Reuters) - Brazil coach Carlos Alberto Parreira ignored calls for his resignation on Monday and said he would hold talks with the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) before announcing his next move.
Parreira dodged reporters and jeering fans at Rio de Janeiro's international airport after returning from the World Cup finals in Germany where the holders were knocked out by France in the quarter-finals on Saturday.
The coach, who led Brazil to victory in the 1994 World Cup, later held a news conference when he defended his team selections and substitutions at the tournament.
Parreira said he had already made up his mind over his future as national coach but would not comment until meeting with CBF president Ricardo Teixeira after the finals.
'I've already taken the decision but before making any announcement I want to speak with Ricardo Teixeira who is an old friend and a person for whom I have great respect,' Parreira said.
Parreira's preference for experienced players like Cafu and Roberto Carlos and his reluctance to break up the attacking duo of Ronaldo and Adriano incensed Brazil fans who were impatient to see youngsters Robinho and Cicinho in action.
The ponderous play of the entire Brazil team in the 1-0 defeat by France drew sharp media criticism of Parreira's management style.
Parreira dismissed suggestions that the World Cup exit had left a stain on a distinguished generation of Brazilian players.
'This was a winning generation, with a pedigree going back to 1994. The defeat against France will obviously stick in the memory, but only as long as it takes Brazil to win the World Cup again, as I am certain we will do in 2010,' he said.