WARSAW, June 29 (Reuters) - Polish coach Pawel Janas has resigned rather than wait for an official decision on his future in two weeks, senior football association (PZPN) official and member of parliament Ryszard Czarnecki said on Thursday.
"I spoke to Janas yesterday. The decision has been taken. He will not be the coach any more," Czarnecki, head of the association's international division told public television.
PZPN chief Michal Listkiewicz maintained that Janas's future remained open until a meeting of senior officials on July 14. But he added he had been talking to a number of candidates for the job.
"We have held talks with several people, but it is all still a possible scenario -- if Pawel Janas ceases to be trainer. A decision will be made on July 14," he told news channel TVN 24.
Media and fans have been calling for Janas's head since the Poles' World Cup hopes were scuppered by first-round defeats by Germany and Ecuador before a consolation victory over Costa Rica.
Listkiewicz has defended Janas's record over his three years in charge but sources inside the association say the coach must go to stave off pressure from the conservative government for a wider clearout.
Ministers have demanded wide-ranging reforms from PZPN and "swift changes" in the national team set-up after a second disappointing first-round exit in four years.
The Poles play the first games in a European Championship qualifying group including Belgium, Serbia and Portugal at the beginning of September.