Cadiz sack coach Esparrago after the drop
MADRID, May 18 (Reuters) - Coach Victor Esparrago has parted company with Cadiz following the Andalucian side's relegation from the Primera Liga.
'Unfortunately we didn't achieve our objective which was to secure our place in the top flight. We were lacking in some areas and it was very sad for everyone,' Esparrago told a news conference on Thursday.
'I am pleased with what I have done here but the board have taken their decision, which is for the good of the club, and I accept it.'
The 61-year-old Uruguayan, who has coached at Sevilla, Valencia and Real Zaragoza among others, returned for his second spell at Cadiz in 2004 and led them to promotion as second division champions last year.
Although his side attempted to play attractive football they were always struggling at the wrong end of the table this year and finished 19th in the Primera Liga to go down with Malaga and Alaves.
Cadiz president Antonio Munoz said: 'We decided by mutual agreement that it would be best for a change on the bench and would like to thank him for two memorable years at the club.'
Another relegation casualty looks set to be Malaga president Serafin Roldan, who has said he is planning to step down.
'I am thinking of leaving. I am tired and disappointed, and think I should retire before next season,' he told a news conference.
'I want director Antonio Mendoza to take over but I will continue until I can convince him to take the post.'