Pompey defender Primus extends contract
Portsmouth defender Linvoy Primus has signed a new two-year contract.
The 32-year-old centre-half will stay at Fratton Park until 2008 but the club have confirmed they will not be offering new terms to several out-of-contract players, including former Liverpool goalkeeper Sander Westerveld and striker Vincent Pericard, who has been on loan at Plymouth.
Defenders Gary Silk and Liam Horsted, goalkeeper Andrea Guatelli and midfielder Aliou Cisse have also left the south coast club, as have on-loan duo Ognjen Koroman and Azar Karadas.
A statement on the club's official website www.pompeyfc.co.uk said: ``Pompey will not be pursuing the option to purchase these players but they may look at them again in the future.''
Pompey boss Harry Redknapp, who himself has agreed a new three-year deal with the club, claims he has clocked up around 5,000 miles travelling around France and Portugal in the last week in his search for new players.
He said: 'I have seen some good players and it is now just a case of whether I can get them. I will have to talk to my chairman (Milan Mandaric) to see what the situation is.'
Redknapp is believed to have identified Tunisia striker Francileudo dos Santos Silva as a likely transfer target after twice watching his club Toulouse in the past week.
The Pompey boss monitored South Africa striker Benni McCarthy's progress for much of last season and was impressed by him again on Sunday as he watched the Portuguese Cup final but said: ``I'm not sure we will follow that one up again.''