Second Italian official quits on phone-tap scandal
MILAN, May 11 (Reuters) - Italian Football Federation vice-President Innocenzo Mazzini has resigned as the scandal surrounding published telephone conversations continues to make waves through the game.
A conversation between Mazzini and Juventus general manager Luciano Moggi, who is at the centre of the affair, was among those published in Italian newspapers last week.
In the conversation with Moggi, Mazzini made insulting references to Football Federation president Franco Carraro, who himself resigned on Monday, and also discussed which Juventus delegate would be attending a meeting on refereeing appointments.
Mazzini has not been put under investigation by any of the probes now looking into Italian football and the role of Moggi in the game.
In a resignation letter distributed by the Federation, Mazzini said that he felt 'extreme discomfort' and the need to resign in order to 'put aside any misunderstandings'.
The Federation is being led by Giancarlo Abete ahead of a federal council meeting on Tuesday which is set to discuss Carraro's resignation.
On Wednesday, Juventus CEO Antonio Giraudo was put under investigation for false accounting.
Judicial sources in Turin said that a magistrates' investigation into Giraudo, related to Juve's transfer dealings, had been underway for some time.
Juventus are already under the spotlight of two magistrates' investigations looking into Moggi's business operations. He is being investigated by magistrates in Naples and Rome in probes into football gambling and the operation of a management company owned by his son Alessandro.
The GEA management firm has nearly 200 players and coaches on its books and Rome magistrates have put them under investigation for `illegal competition with use of threats and violence'.
Juventus, whose owners have declined to give any public backing to Moggi and Giraudo, were due to hold a board meeting later on Thursday.