Real Betis
6:45 PM UTC
Game Details
Hamburg SV
Eintracht Frankfurt
6:30 PM UTC
Game Details
AS Monaco
6:45 PM UTC
Game Details
Burton Albion
Birmingham City
6:45 PM UTC
Game Details

Trending: Mourinho hits back at 'Einsteins'

By ESPN Staff

Rest of King's Cup tie to be played behind closed doors

MADRID, Jan 26 (Reuters) - The remaining 46 minutes of the abandoned King's Cup quarter-final tie between Valencia and Deportivo Coruna will be played behind closed doors at the Mestalla, the Spanish Football Federation said on Thursday.

Wednesday's second leg was halted by referee Carlos Megia Davila after a linesman was cut on the head by an object thrown from the crowd shortly after Valencia had taken the lead.

The tie was level 1-1 on aggregate.

'The match will restart in the 44th minute and will be played behind closed doors at the Mestalla at a date to be agreed between the two sides,' the Federation's Competition's Committee president Alfredo Florez told a news conference.

Deportivo coach Joaquin Caparros said the tense build-up to the game could have led to the incident.

'I'm not sure if this is the price we have to pay for people winding up the tension before the match,' Caparros told reporters after the match.

Deportivo won the first leg at the Riazor 1-0 after a disputed penalty, despite being down to 10 men after midfielder Aldo Duscher was sent off early in the match.

The result prompted Valencia coach Quique Sanchez Flores to predict a fiery return leg.

'I expect a rough, bad-tempered match,' he said on Tuesday. 'We want it to be a tense, hard game so that our fans will involved and get behind us.

'The fans will play their part. At the Riazor they pressured a lot and that influenced the referee.'

Tempers flared early in Wednesday's game when Valencia defender Carlos Marchena was sent off for striking Deportivo striker Angel Arizmendi in the face with his hand.

Nevertheless, Valencia took the lead through striker David Villa just over a minute before halftime only to see the referee order the players off the pitch moments later following the attack on linesman Vicente Ejido Rozas.

Doctors said that he had suffered minor bruising and a cut to the forehead.

Valencia president Juan Bautista Soler said he did not think the match should have been stopped.

'I respect the referee's decision, but I don't agree with it,' he told reporters after the announcement.

'The aggression wasn't serious enough to suspend the game. There is a fourth official available and there was another solution. This is a provocation for Valencia fans.'