Burnley's Thomas denies assault charge
A footballer today denied in court gesticulating from the dugout at opposing fans and pushing a police officer.
Wayne Thomas, 26, who plays for Burnley, is accused of the alleged incidents at the end of his former club Stoke's match at Millwall on February 19 last year.
Bexley Magistrates' Court in south-east London has heard claims that Thomas gestured at fans with his middle finger raised and pushed Sergeant John D'Arcy.
Asked in court today about the alleged gestures, Thomas said: 'Never would I consider doing that in the presence of children.'
And he said though he may have sworn at the officer, he only pulled his arm away from him and did not make any contact with him.
Thomas, of London Road, Holmes Chapel, Cheshire, is accused of assaulting Sergeant D'Arcy in the execution of his duty.
District Judge Anthony Woodcock today ordered to be dismissed another charge of using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour or disorderly behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.
He ruled there was not sufficient evidence that harassment, alarm or distress was caused to the crowd for there to be a conviction.
More to follow...