Ehiogu saga continues as Boro veto loan deal
Middlesbrough defender Ugo Ehiogu will not be allowed to join West Brom on loan.
Albion are keen to sign the 33-year-old on a temporary basis until the end of the season, but the Teessiders are understood to have vetoed that and will consider only a permanent move.
Boro boss Steve McClaren initially pulled the plug on the former England international's switch when it was feared skipper Gareth Southgate could be sidelined for up to three months with a suspected stress fracture of the ankle.
He relented last week when scans showed that Southgate's injury was not as serious as was first thought, but the deal is yet to go through despite Boro giving the green light.
'Everything has been agreed from our end, it's up to West Brom to complete the deal,' he said.
McClaren admitted as he prepared for tonight's FA Cup third round replay with non-league Nuneaton that there had been no progress on the transfer front, with the future of keeper Mark Schwarzer, who is on the list at his own request, still uncertain.
Boro, who were hammered 7-0 at Arsenal on Saturday, have to sell before they can recruit with Szilard Nemeth a target for French club Strasbourg and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Ray Parlour among those who could leave the Riverside Stadium.
However, until there is movement out, McClaren will be unable to step up his interest in a series of targets, including Sporting Lisbon's Roudolphe Douala.
'We want these deals to go through as soon as possible,' he told the club's official website. 'It's very frustrating, but the sooner this get sorted out, the better.
'My hands are tied - I can't bring anyone in until certain players leave the club.
'Everyone can see the squad needs to be improved. We are working night and day to do that, but it is very difficult.
'We knew the situation before the window came upon us. We knew it two weeks ago, a week ago, before the weekend - it doesn't change anything. Our targets remain the same.'