Chelsea star Eden Hazard plays down father's Real Madrid claims
BRIGHTON, ENGLAND -- Eden Hazard said he had spoken to his father after he suggested the Chelsea star hoped to get an offer from Real Madrid.
In an interview with Belgian newspaper Le Soir last month, Thierry Hazard said his son had rejected a contract offer from Chelsea and was keeping his options open with the aim of encouraging Madrid.
The reigning European champions, known to be admirers of Hazard, are likely to revamp their squad in the summer if they cannot salvage a difficult season with further Champions League success.
Speaking after his two goals helped see off Brighton 4-0 on Saturday, Hazard reiterated that he was happy at Stamford Bridge but stopped short of saying he would extend his contract, which runs until June 2020.
"My dad says some bad things," he said with a smile. "I talked with him, no worries. I'm focused with Chelsea.
"I've got two years contract left and I'm happy here. Like I said 10 times before, I want to finish this year and then we'll see. But I'm happy here."
Hazard's first goal against Brighton was the 100th league strike of his career, and he has now been directly involved in 102 Premier League goals for Chelsea -- 65 goals and 37 assists -- overtaking Gianfranco Zola (101) in third place on the all-time list behind Didier Drogba (159) and Frank Lampard (237).
"He does that in training and, on his day, he's probably one of the best players in the world," teammate Victor Moses told the London Evening Standard.
"He's unbelievable. He's so talented. We're very happy to have him here and we're happy that he's enjoying his football. Hopefully, he'll keep scoring goals."
Liam is ESPN FC's Chelsea correspondent. Follow him on Twitter: @Liam_Twomey.