Shkupi

Ronaldo: It was 'easy to decide' to join Juventus

James won't make early Madrid return - agency

Hazard, Chelsea may be ready for split - Martinez

Transfer Rater: Milinkovic-Savic to Chelsea

Football Whispers

Vinicius Junior wants another season at Flamengo before Real Madrid switch

Future Real Madrid attacker Vinicius Junior has suggested he would like to stay for at least another year at current club Flamengo before moving to the Santiago Bernabeu.

Madrid announced in May that they had signed Vinicius from Brazilian club Flamengo, with the reported €45 million transfer effective in July 2018.

The Brazil youth international has been slowly eased into the senior setup at Flamengo this year and has played a key role as a substitute, setting up both goals in their recent 2-1 final-day comeback victory at Vitoria -- a result which secured a place in the 2018 Copa Libertadores. He was less effective from the bench as the club ended their campaign by losing the Copa Sudamericana final to Independiente.

Speaking to AS as he headed off on holiday, the 17-year-old said that ideally he would remain at his hometown club for a little longer and help them to win next year's Copa Libertadores.

Real Madrid have agreed a deal to sign Vinicius Junior from Flamengo.

"We've not decided anything yet," Vinicius said. "We will think of this when the season starts, I'm on holiday now. I want to stay until the end of the year 2018. After winning the Copa Libertadores, I could go calmly to another club [Madrid]."

Asked about regular praise for his development among Madrid pundits in the Spanish press, Vinicius said he preferred not to read too much about what was written about him.

"I do not look at it much," the teenager said. "I know my own potential. I have a calm head. I do not let things affect me much."

Dermot Corrigan is a Madrid-based football writer who covers La Liga and the Spain national team for ESPN FC. Follow him on Twitter @dermotmcorrigan

Comments