Luis Suarez: Antoine Griezmann, Philippe Coutinho would fit in at Barca
Luis Suarez says Atletico Madrid's Antoine Griezmann and Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho would be welcome at Barcelona as the Catalan club continue to be linked with both players.
Barca failed with three bids for Coutinho in the summer but are expected to return for the playmaker in January, with CEO Oscar Grau confirming the club are prepared to test Liverpool's resolve again.
Meanwhile, Mundo Deportivo reported on Sunday that Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu met with Griezmann's family this week ahead of a summer transfer.
Barca director of institutional relations Guillermo Amor then refused to deny that talks have taken place, saying it is "possible" there is something with the Madrid forward.
"Both Griezmann and Coutinho are elite players that are playing at the top level," Suarez told RAC105 on Monday. "They are where they are for a reason. They're both young and have long careers ahead of them. And Barca always want the best players."
Griezmann, 26, was set to leave Atletico last summer but eventually agreed to sign a new contract in June when the club had an appeal against a transfer ban rejected.
However, his future is thought to be away from the club, with coach Diego Simeone saying last week he would not stand in his way if a "unique opportunity" came along.
Suarez says the France international, who has a €100 million buyout clause, would add a lot to Barca and does not fear him taking his place Ernesto Valverde's side.
"If you look at [Greizmann], at Atletico he needs to play with a No. 9," he added. "He's not a fixed No. 9. Obviously, Griezmann would come here to add to the team and to help the side in the position that the coach wants him to play in."
Suarez, 30, has less reason to worry given his recent return to form, with the striker scoring six goals in his last six La Liga appearances going into Saturday's trip to Real Madrid.
He scored twice in Barca's 4-0 win against Deportivo La Coruna on Sunday but could have had a hat trick, with a rabona goal ruled out which had appeared to cross the line by the time it was saved Ruben Martinez.
"The day before the game, I was playing at home with my son and doing rabonas and he told me to see if I could do one in the game," Suarez said. "The situation came up but the referee didn't give the goal. When I got home my son was surprised because the goal hadn't counted. But he told me I had done what he'd asked."
It is the second time this season and the third time this year that Barca have not been given a goal when the ball has crossed the line, with the same thing happening in games at Real Betis and Valencia.
Suarez cannot understand La Liga's reluctance to introduce technology.
"It's not that difficult [to tell if it's a goal]," he said. "It's about putting a chip in the ball to see if it's a goal or not. I hope the situation is fixed soon."
Samuel Marsden covers Barcelona for ESPN FC. Follow him on Twitter @SamuelMarsden.