Macedonia coach told to stay on
SKOPJE, Oct 28 (Reuters) - The Macedonian FA refused on Thursday to accept coach Dragan Kanatlarovski's resignation, submitted after their embarrassing 1-0 defeat to Andorra in last month's World Cup qualifier.
'All 13 members of the executive board voted for Kanatlarovski to stay until the end of his contract in December 2005,' Macedonian FA press officer Zoran Nikolovski told reporters.
The 44-year-old coach, who took over in August last year, offered to quit following, as he put it: the 'shameful result' for Macedonian soccer which gave Andorra their first ever competitive international victory.
'I will do my best so that this will be the side's last shameful defeat,' he said.
Macedonia beat Armenia 3-0 in their opening match in ther qualifiers then surprisingly held the Netherlands to a 2-2 draw before the shattering loss to Andorran part-timers.
Kanatlarovski has not always enjoyed such support from his board who sacked him in 2001 after a disappointing qualifying campaign for the 2002 World Cup finals before re-hiring him again last year.