Fernando Torres in 'very advanced' talks with Mexico's Queretaro - sources
Atletico Madrid forward Fernando Torres could be on the verge of moving to Liga MX club Queretaro, according to multiple sources consulted by ESPN Mexico.
Negotiations with the 33-year-old free agent and Atletico Madrid legend are "very advanced," according to the sources, and a deal could be struck as early as this week, even though the transfer deadline for international moves in Liga MX is Sept. 5.
Queretaro shocked Mexican football once before when the club signed Ronaldinho in September 2014.
Two different sources said Torres' contract would be for two years, and the former Liverpool striker would be earning $5 million per year.
Mexico City club Cruz Azul has also shown interest in Torres, but Queretaro has the upper hand, with club president Arturo Villanueva in negotiations for the last three weeks, sources said.
The issue now holding up the deal is the news from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) earlier in the week, with Atletico Madrid's transfer ban until January 2018 set to stand. Both Queretaro and Atleti are seeking assurances that the out-of-contract Torres is free to move to Mexico.
Torres scored eight goals for Atletico last season in La Liga, starting 13 matches and appearing 31 times for the Madrid club.
Tom Marshall covers Liga MX and the Mexican national team for ESPN FC. Twitter: @MexicoWorldCup.